Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Growing up in the 80's, and in the New Millennium

I am living in the same neighborhood that I grew up in.  It's looks the same as it did when we moved here from Massachusetts when I was 5.  My kids will go to the same schools that I did. They may even have some of the same teachers (super weird, right).  

Right now, my son is watching The Super Mario Bros. Super Show. on Netflix.  OMG it's funny, yet kinda bad!  But he is loving it.  HeMan and SheRa - wow, those also are not as good as I remember.  I'll sit and watch Transformers (the original, not the new one) Hello Kitty Furry Tail Theatre, Rainbow Brite with my kids.  They've seen the newer cartoons, but for some reason prefer the stuff that Steve and I watched. 

Steve and I have been joking about all the stories our parents would tell us.  "When we were kids, our TV's were black and white, and only had 3 channels"  "We listened to 8 tracks and Vinyl Records."  "We had roller skates" "We didn't have computers".

When I was a kid, we grew up with 2 TV's, with cable.  Today, we have 2 TV's, no cable, but we have Apple TV and Netflix.

We had cassettes and CD's.  Now, we have a few CD's, but mostly we download from Amazon or iTunes.

We had roller blades.   My kids want those stupid wheeley shoes.

We had 1 family computer.  In my house we have 2 desk tops, 3 lap tops and an iPad.  Oh yea, and our phones.

When I played video games, I used a super nintendo and gameboys.  My kids have games downloaded on the iPod Touch and the Wii.  

I'm thankful for the technology that we have.  I'm thankful for the the improvements that have been made.  

But hey, there are just parts of our growing up what we think that they should know: game cartridges, disc-man, cassettes in cars; you know, the important stuff

He will never know what an Arari is...



No comments:

Post a Comment