Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Events!

This past weekend was rather busy. Friday night we went to watch my brothers and all of their old teammates play soccer against the incoming high school team. The Alumni game is a tradition, but never got much recognition - this year the stands were packed! I sat with my little girls and the 'non-girlfriend" of one of my brothers. I adore her and would like to see them become serious.
Saturday we had to go to the wedding of one of my husband's oldest friends (their parents grew up together). It was also the same night as their 10 year reunion. Hubby was unsure about going to the wedding - he was really hurt by not being asked to be groomsman. But the reunion was expensive! $75 for a couple? I mean, I looked up the prices for the venue (we are thinking about renting it out for our 10th Anniversary/affirm our vows). But still, his class should have raised money in high school for it (mine did!). And it was really stupid because they knowingly planned it on the day of 4 weddings from the graduating class - so only a third of the class was there.
Well, we went to the wedding and reception, and despite our reservations against going, we had a nice time. Our good friends were there and we spent the night talking and dancing with them. After the reception was over, we went to where the reunion was and went in as they were trying to get people to leave. I met some of his friends, and we ended up going to a restaurant and sitting with people that he really didn't know in school. It was nice - I enjoyed myself. We don't drink (meaning alcohol), and we're not used to being around drunk people. It's funny the things people will say/admit to when they were sloshed! I was told about 10 times how beautiful I was (and I admit, I looked really nice that night), but it's hard to take a compliment from someone who is slurring their words and asks the same questions five times.
A reoccurring event of the night was people who are not married giving marital advice. The best man was the groom's little brother, and he gave the toast, and was giving some funny advice about how she should act around her husband. It was a joke, obviously it was, but it was more funny coming from a 19 year old! And at the reunion, an old classmate we met as we were leaving the restaurant was asking about our life together. We told him we met right after they graduated high school, I was 16 he was 19. The guy was calling me "jail bait". And I flat out told him that nothing happened until I had two rings on my finger! Take that! Gentlemen do still exist and there is no reason to not wait until your wedding night! It is the best gift you can give your husband/wife - so allow me this soap box moment to say, save yourself for marriage wait for the one that GOD is preparing for you!
People assume all kinds of things when we tell them how long we've been married; when we say we have three kids, they automatically assume that the oldest is going to be close in age to our years of marriage. And she's not: she was born one month before our two year anniversary. Apparently at the reunion, we would have won married longest and most kids.
I am very happy with my life. Maybe I could have waited another year to get married - finish school first. But I am happy with the decisions that I have made and do not regret anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment