Monday, September 5, 2011

Whew...that was easy

I'd been a shell of myself all day leading up to the event.  Freaking out because I could not get 1 wrinkle out of my dress.  I ruined my manicure.  I forgot to wash my face before I put my make-up on and a zit developed by the end of the night... But I survived.

Steve and I heading to the reunion
I had been dreading my reunion for months, really only wanting to see a few people.  Maybe I should have planned my own event for Friday night...  I was thankful for my friends who were there, reconnecting in person with the people I see on Facebook regularly.

It was still very clique-y.  We were all divided into our 'groups', just like back in school.  Not a whole lot of inter-mingling amongst us, which I was kinda surprised about.  Lots of 1-ups when we did mingle, which is kinda pathetic, but we all do that anyway right?

I was pleased that there wasn't a lot of reminiscing of 'ye olde high school times'.  A few college stories, how I met my spouse, etc.  But mostly it was just talking like adults and friends, as if time hadn't passed.  The main differences were that (as a friend pointed out) we were allowed to drink and it was socially appropriate to 'bring our dates home'.

A few thoughts passed through my head throughout the night, memories that I didn't want to think about.  But it was great to know that even when I didn't see it, my friends had had my back.  Love you guys...

So according to a survey I filled out 10 years ago, I planned on being married, working in radio, owning a home and having 2 kids; the thing that I'd be looking forward to the most at the 10 year reunion would be seeing friends.  Well, 10 years later I've been married for 8 years with a house and 3 kids, I did work in radio for 2 years, and all I really wanted from last night was my friends.

Missed you guys.  Let's not wait 10 years to see each other again...

Sylvania Southview, Class of 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment