Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Blessings of Christmas

I love my family.

I have an amazing husband who I've known for over 12 years, married to for over 8.  I have kind, loving and well mannered children.

I have strong and loving parents, and brothers who I actually do enjoy spending time with (I don't mind if you guys stop by every once in a while...hint hint).

I have amazing grandparents, who I wish I'd been around more when I was younger.  I adore my aunts and uncles and cousins.  Who can beat staying up late playing games, asking random questions and laughing.

Steve grew up with having all his extended family around him; I did not.  I'm still not use to trying to coordinate spending the holiday with EVERYONE.  Most years, it was just my parents and us kids.  We'd gone to Massachusetts for a few Christmas's, but the weather became so unpredictable that it had to stop.

We don't really have any established traditions in my family now.  We make it a point to bake cookies together, we drive around looking at Christmas decorations, and we have some pretty neat Christmas cards!

Samantha, 6; Emmalee, 5; Steven, 3.  


We've tried to keep the holiday's simple.  I hate how commercialized it's become.  Christmas is about the coming of the Christ Child - the most precious gift of all.  It should be about being together with the ones that you love, enjoying all that they bring you in life (and that doesn't mean material things).

We enjoyed a quiet holiday this year; Friday night with my brothers, Saturday with my parents, Sunday morning at home, Sunday night with Steve's mom.

It was great to see my parents.  My kids hadn't seen my dad since before Halloween.  It was his first time out of bed in a couple of days.  The kids didn't seem too scared of all the IV bags, upset that they couldn't hug him, though.  It was nice to meet some of the doctors and nurses caring for him.  And their favorite housekeeper, Linda.  Mom said she always had something kind and encouraging to say, always helping out when she can.

My kids were very thankful for everything that they received.  They didn't complain that they didn't get what they wanted.  My husband and I didn't really exchange gifts - well, I thought we weren't.  I did get him a little something, then he got something for me, and then something for him that he addressed to me... I do really like my new iPod dock, though, I have been wanting one.  But I didn't think I needed a PS3...  Know any good games?

This Christmas was what Christmas is suppose to be - about family, being together, thankful for each other and honoring the Ultimate Gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment