Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cancer is killing us

Over the past few months, we have lost many American Icons to Cancer. As a person who's father had cancer, I know only too well how horrible this disease can be. It sucks the life out of someone - even if it doesn't kill them. It affects the whole family. I thought the world had crashed down on me when my father told me.

I remember sending out updates and prayer requests, asking people to send words of encouragement to my parents and brothers. Of about 25 people I had asked, 2 sent cards right away. The rest, well, I'm sure they said a prayer. (Allow me to digress, but when a brother or sister in Christ is calling on you in their family's time of need, take 2 minutes and write a card.) I remember going every other weekend to visit my dad in his first round of treatment, and seeing the cards that they had received: from current and former coworkers, parents of my brothers' soccer teammates, friends they hadn't seen in years, and strangers who had seen a prayer request made by a friend and sent a card. Jesus, to those people, bless their abundant hearts.

Today I heard the news that Mary, from Peter Paul and Mary died from Cancer. A few days ago, Patrick Swazye died. A few weeks ago, Ted Kennedy died, and before that Farrah Fawsette. All from cancer. These people played an important role in our culture (whether we like it or not is not the point). They probably had access to the best treatment in the world because of their fame and fortune (I'm not talking about heath care reform now, either). Despite all our medical advancements, people are still dying of cancer.

I look at family members and friends who are dealing with cancer in one way or another now, and it tugs at my heartstrings. I want to be able to take away their pain, but no matter how hard I've prayed, they still had/have to go through it. This tool of the devil does not belong, and in JESUS NAME! begone from my family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment